Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 133!

Happy Carnevale!
If you didn't know, Carnevale marks the day before Lent begins. It's a huge carnival celebration that continues until Easter. A lot of countries or even cities celebrate it differently, I know in Italy they wear costumes and absolutely stunning masks. I wish I had the beautiful masks they have, but this one from last Halloween should suffice.

















From what I remember from my Italian class carnevale means to either shed skin, or to say goodbye to meat. Either meaning to put meat away during Lent, fasting so you're losing your "meat", or to say goodbye to your old self, the self before Carnevale and starting new. Whatever it means I think it's a beautiful celebration.

"This mask of glass is what I choose to wear."

No comments:

Post a Comment